Tuesday, October 25, 2011

September Goodie Bag: I Hope It Works Out: Stress Relief Pinata

Hey everyone!  I'm writing this post while at work.  Does that mean I'm finally getting paid to do something I love?  Probably not but close enough to feel kind of good anyway.  September was one hell of a dramatic month what with the frantic scrambling for money and subsequent squabbling amongst friends because we were all so broke and stressed.  Working over 50hrs a week and barely making rent with NO food expenses was not easy.  I would like to say "Fuck you," to Al, my boss during this shit-begotten month.  You are a miserable bag of scum and I rest easier at night knowing that I screwed you over on a bunch of shifts when I quit your glorified McDonald's.  Damned capitalists.  Wow, listen to me.  The conservatives should be paying me to take part in the Occupy protests just for the pure and simple purpose of making the entire movement look bad.  I'm just pathetic enough.  "Hey rich people, I don't like serving your complaining asses BBQ and now I want more of your money for free."  Hahaha.  Don't get me wrong, I looooove any and all Occupy movements.  I am merely pointing out that I'm kind of a loser.  Phew!  I feel better now.  Don't worry people, happier thoughts on the way...



Happier thoughts arrived:  Since I didn't post anything in September, I am trying to make up for it by hanging this digital pinata of goodies out here.  Imagine it: bright purples, reds, yellows, oranges even (!), a mache likeness of my a-hole boss:), covered in thoughtfully arranged tiny little streamers.  Boy, oh, boy, she sure is a beaut!  Why, look at that.  It's even got a mustache just like Al (my ex-boss)... how adorable.... so adorable... almost too cute... so cute you just want to smash it!  =====>Congratulations, you've smashed it!!!!!!  Hooray!!!!!!!  Thanks, everyone.  Look what we have here, all exploded on the floor around us.  That's not candy.  Hmmm... Flat Squares with interesting artwork, this deserves closer inspection.  What are these little mysteries?  Snap!  New LP's and 7"'s, even an exclusive digital only treat from Haley L. Fohr, otherwise known as Circuit des Yeux.  It's a team up with Maquilon!  Joy!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::September Belated Goodie Bag:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Circuit des Yeux
Sat Nov 12 Louisville, KY @ Cropped Out Festival (w/ Human Eye!)
Sat Nov 19 Bloomington, IN @ The Bishop

Haley Fohr is one of the most unique and genuinely inspired musicians I have met.  She seems to be consumed by music and the pursuit of sound.  Ode to Fidelity is recorded to 4-track and if you have ever recorded on a  4-track you will be stunned at what she's accomplished given the technology.  The music is desperate and clouded, the sound of the utter desolation of a wasteland only this is no nature scene, this is life.  I won't lie, this is very serious stuff and it could change you if you let it.  Haley's sense for both creating and hearing texture in music is almost supernatural.  She also has one of the strongest voices out there today.  Don't believe me?  Watch this, from Permanent Records in 2009, guaranteed to blow you away: Curcuit des Yeux solo set.  Circuit des Yeux just got back from touring Europe with Pink Reason and records for De Stijl Records.  Here, along with the Ode to Fidelity 7", is a rare track she recorded with her sexy boyfriend, Brian, also known as Maquilon.  I cannot speak more highly of this music.  Absolutely Recommended.  Click to d/l.

Matthew Friedberger
Fourth and best (?) solo album from Matt of Fiery Furnaces this year.  The Friedbergers are amazing, aren't they?  This one kind of reminds me of Beck's Midnite Vultures at times.  Are you getting that too?  "We like to sit around and get real paid," duh da da duh duh duh wa wa waaa?  I don't think anyone worth a damn has done a percussion only album since 70's Gainsbourg.  Certainly, no one has done it this well outside of the electro genre since then but, come on, who wants to listen to that?  Matthew's work will challenge and may possibly scare you as it widens your palate.  Don't fight it and don't forget to check out the other Friedberger albums I have up in the archives.

Timmy's Organism
From Timmy Vulgar's split with John Wesley Coleman (see last week's post).  If you know Clone Defects or Human Eye, you know what to expect.  If you don't, get learned, sucka's!  Semi-obnoxious and orally assaulting, scuzzy in that De-troit way, this man is single-handedly responsible for keeping the Motor City on the radar musically for the last decade and I fucking love him.  Pay your respects and d/l this excellent tunage now.  Timmy's Organism has a full length out on Sacred Bones called Rise of the Green Gorilla which I won't post but you can easily find elsewhere, such is the way of modern technology:).  What am I saying?  Just buy the damned thing.  Geezus.

Eric's Trip
First 7" from all but forgotten early 90's Canadian lo-fi psych-punk outfit, Eric's Trip.  Anyone who is familiar with this band has probably spent time wondering whether Rick White is retarded or a genius and who could blame you?  Not all of this is good but the parts that are... are (hate when that happens) truly fucking awesome and will have you listening again and again.  It is a shame that people don't name check these guys more often.  I'm thinking about posting their whole discography up here with reviews.  Check out Rick White's other projects on youtube: Elevator, Elevator Through and, you guessed it, Elevator to Hell (WTF?  Seriously? Yes, and, I know.).  He did a bunch of acid and wrote some completely idiotic Pink Floyd-ey type shit but, in the end, he also created one of the most continually groundbreaking and mind-shatteringly brilliant bodies of work that exists today and he's still at it.  Check him out, dude deserves some attention.  Literally just inspired me to buy a super-8 video camera from ebay.  God, I love it.

Adieu, lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment