Saturday, July 2, 2011

Matthew Friedberger - Old Regimes (Friedburdener~ ya like that, Kyle?)


Wow, I've done almost as many blog posts this week as I have been to concerts.  Lucky you and lucky me, lucky us!  Old Regimes is the newest Matthew Friedberger album and, looking to my record shelf, I can see that it's the third of his epic eight-album-in one-year series.  My collection has been getting steadily cooler by the day and this new addition, with its deep purple sleeve, is really tying it together right now... and there's still five more to come.  How does he do it?  This album, with its deep and dramatic hues, finds Friedberger exploring his dark side.  Light on melody, large on motif: don't expect to be singing any of these songs in the shower.  It is played entirely on the harp but the sound has been electronically enhanced to be slightly distorted, a sort of GarageBand-y tone (you bedroom recorders know what I'm talking about).  There are lots of beautiful virtuosic moments here and the album actually came with printed lyrics which is a first and quite a trip if you read:)  I love this album if only for its usefulness for making my neighbors think I'm weird and I hope to be hearing it blasting out of your apartments as I speed by on my Schwinn in the coming days.

Thank you for reading and for helping me to make Chicago just that much more of a haven for the odd and unusual.  And thank you, Matthew, for helping to make my record collection the best there ever was.

Here ya' go.
Matthew Friedberger - Old Regimes

2 comments:

  1. Awesome description! I love this album. I literally can't get enough of it. I followed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanks ben, glad you enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete